Thursday, December 27, 2007

It's Been A While...

Wow. I haven't posted since October. Shame on me, in this digital age, not blogging more often.

Well, shortly after my last post, I went into the hospital for about a week. Obviously, I was released, but I'm still ill (some days more than others) and we're not sure what's wrong. So, I'm still seeing doctor's about that. Luckily, there is little distraction from the history of medieval Venetian trading while waiting around the doctor's office. (medieval texts > Cosmo)

As for knitting, I haven't gotten as much done as I would like. I did, of course, finish the holiday knits. Hats, this year. So many plain hats for the men in the family. Blech. Give me something interesting. (Why do men never want to wear interesting knits?) And then, of course, I was sleep deprived while packing to come home and forgot to bring any knitting supplies with me.

Oh yes. I, who cannot live without my knitting, who carries needles and a bit of yarn to the dining hall and grocery store on the off chance there'll be some knitting time, forgot to bring any yarn or needles with me. And I didn't get any for Christmas.

However, I did get an absolutely delightful copy of Wrapped in Comfort: Knitted Lace Shawls by Alison Jeppson Hyde. I love it dearly. It's also wonderful to read a knitting book written by someone with a chronic illness which affects her hands, like mine do. And she makes such beautiful lace! Maybe this lace thing is possible after all....

And then, out of nowhere, my brother bought me three skeins of Noro Kureyon Sock and a set of circular needles at the local LYS on Boxing Day so that I could start the shawl of my choice from the book. That was absolutely amazing of him and might keep me from going mad until I return to Pennsylvania and my stash. I must plan a wonderful surprise for him as a thank you. Perhaps I shall cook him something fancy when he comes back from his silent retreat....

I have started (and frogged, and started) the Bigfoot Shawl from Wrapped in Comfort. In Kureyon Sock it looks delightfully different from the tan alpaca shown in the book. Mine looks like fun and summer... It really reminds me, at the moment, of going to the Maine coast as a kid, when my brother and I would have clothing and toys in every colour under the sun. The colours of S40 are almost the same, but the pattern looks simple and pretty, like the house and shops in Maine. Hmmmmm.... I should have a full skein left over after I finish the shawl (unless a make myself a monster shawl), so I might start looking around for scarf patterns...

No comments: